Thursday, September 4, 2008

"Our Lives Have Changed!!"
A few days ago, after playing with our new dog for a while, Sam threw his arms up in the air and with excitement yelled out, "OUR LIVES HAVE CHANGED...WE HAVE A DOG!!!" It was as if he wanted to yell out to the world, "Hey everyone, look at the Trumans, we are the luckiest family ever because we have a dog! We will never be a miserable, dog-less family again!" A huge smile came over my face after he yelled out that our lives have changed. Oh how true those words are, but it has changed in a different way for me.

My life has turned upside down the last few weeks with a new puppy. I had NO idea they were so much work and would take up so much of my time. It's the whole house training thing. I can't take my eyes off her because I don't want her to have accidents on my carpet. So I have spent my days watching my dog...that's it...just watching her. I started to go a little crazy (mentally) and had a break down so I bought this gate to keep her on the tile when I can't watch her.
My life is much easier now and I think I'm beginning to regain some of my sanity!

Some days (a lot of days) I wonder what was I thinking getting a dog? I have never been much of an animal person and I'm trying really hard to love the dog and this whole experience but some days it's hard. Until I see Megan sharing her beloved "Watermelon" blankie with Mia..

Or watch Mia cuddled up with the kids at night...
(By the way, she can cuddle with them right before bed, but she does NOT sleep with them)

The other day I was ready to give the dog away. When I expressed this to my kids, they broke into tears and then Tommy, my very wise child said, "Mom, why are you quitting? Do you want to teach me to be a quitter because if you get rid of the dog that is what I am going to learn." He is such a smarty-pants. So, I'm not getting rid of the dog, and it's not because I don't want to teach my kids to be quitters, it's because the kids LOVE this dog! They all adore her and it's so fun to see them love her and for her to love them. So yes, our lives have changed! Is it for the better or the worse??? That depends on who you ask... and don't ask Mark! :)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maria you are my idol- I could not do it! But, for the sake of your kids I don't think you have a choice! If it makes you feel any better, our neighbors had a little dog like Mia and it was a rough start but now they love him and he is a great dog. Hang in there!

Brigit said...

Hang in there Maria :) It does get better. A puppy is a lot of work as you have found out, but you can see from the pictures how much your kids love Mia. I thought you had the perfect family before Mia and now it's SUPER PERFECT!

suzy said...

Hey--we all need a few "gates" in our lives to keep us sane! I'm glad you're documenting this so that you can remember these times and you won't have those moments like when my mom when she looks at me and says..."I don't remember my kids doing that..." :) (love you mom:)

Grandma lu said...

I love Mia and when you have her all trained I'll take her!!! And (for Suzy) that's why I told you to write it all down in your journal. I'll show you mine some day!

Julia Harps said...

You are a good mom. a very very very good mom.

lori said...

Mia is a cutie - it's sure nice to simply admire her in pictures without doing any of the work! Way to hang in there for the kids! You guys are awesome!

jill said...

I feel your pain!!! You're a very nice mother!

Do what my mom would do when she didn't want my dad to wear something ever again, she would say she couldn't find it anywhere. You could, tell the kids you can't find the dog and in the meantime find a MAJOR dog lover to take the little critter off your hands. ;) Just a sick idea.

the heiner family said...

I remember a specific incidence of my dad kicking Ceasar across the lawn. Now as you know...my dad is as much of a dog lover as you could ever find but training a puppy is a pain!!! So good for you for hanging in there...experience tells me that I couldn't and I wouldn't(ie Maddie!)!

Kristi said...

I was crackin up at the comment about you teaching them to be a quitter by getting rid of the dog. That is hilarious! What a smart kid. You could just say something, "No, I am just learning to put my family first, and in order to do that, the dog needs to go". It is an adorable dog though. Glad I can admire it...from..a...distance. :)

ztruman said...

Maria, you win the mother of the year award. I don't think I could do it. She is a cute sweet thing but my kids will just have to be jealous for now. Good luck!

Abby said...

that is so funny! Way to be such a nice mom and get the kids a dog! She's cute!

Hailey said...

Thanks for the support and pep talk! I may be calling you soon for the sympathy. My kids adore our new puppy, too...
I will try to be a nice mom like you!