Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Family Movie Night

A while ago, our kid's bedtime was not good! There was a lot of screaming, fighting, complaining, kids coming out of their rooms, etc. Mark and I were not being very patient either so I pulled out my positive parenting book, dusted it off, and decided we needed to approach bedtime differently. The next day we talked to the kids about making a bedtime sticker chart. If they went to bed quickly when asked and didn't come out once they were tucked in, then the next morning they could put a sticker on the sticker chart. After 60 stickers, they earned a special surprise. We had them decide what that would be and they came up with a family movie night with lots of good food and treats! So for the last three weeks or so, they have been great at bedtime!! There have only been a couple of nights when someone didn't get a sticker the next day. It's been great because when one person is acting up, the other kids remind them to do better...it's a group effort! Yesterday morning, the last sticker was put on the chart and last night we had our first Family Movie Night!! We ordered pizza and watched Space Chimps. In the middle of the movie we had intermission and made some indoor smores (thanks to a friend who gave us this cool little thing for Christmas!). Roasting the marshmallows was fun!...just like camping!


You even had to be careful not to let your marshmallows catch on fire. Tommy wasn't so good at that!



But oh, did they ever taste good!!!


Then back to the movie!
The movie night was a big success! We now have chart #2 up on the fridge and hope to have another movie night soon!

7 comments:

erica said...

maria you are the cutest mom!! i'll be coming to you for parenting tips in the future.

Joe White said...

Man does mark love smores! haha I love that picture. I loved the whole blog.... made me crack up and I am thousands of miles away! You rock aunt Maria! I am going to start my own sticker chart here in Hawaii and me and the kids will all put ours together and come up with a sweet present! Like a trip to Hawaii! haha Fair warning though kids I wont have too many stickers cause I stay up most night cursing my teachers for giving me too much homework to do! haha jk I love homework and so should you! See you all soon!
Joe Joe

Brigit said...

Ohh bedtime...it could be such a challenge, but with only two kids Brock and I are even numbered, but it won't be that way forever. Congratulations on the Movie night. It looked like a lot of fun. I LOVE smores.

Abby said...

i love your family

Grandma lu said...

I want a smore!!!

Marci said...

What a great idea! That is going to be a great memory for the kids. I think Tommy's cake is awesome!! I bet it tasted good too! See you soon! (web cam today?)

Laurie said...

What an awesome little family!!! With great parents!!