Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Farm

When I was 5 years old, we moved to "the farm." It was a little old house on ten acres. We only lived there for two years before moving to Las Vegas, but I have a lot of fond memories of that place....
I remember the MICE....there were a lot of them. I have memories of my mom jumping on a chair in the kitchen and letting out a shriek at the sight of a mouse. It didn't take long until we invested in some cats and mouse traps. That helped, but didn't completely solve the mouse problem.
I also have memories of the coal shoot and the black mess that was left behind when the coal was dropped off. I remember the smell of the coal burning in the winter to keep us warm.
I remember the scary, smelly basement that my brothers slept in. I didn't like to go down there because there were mice and spiders and...it was smelly from my brothers and the coal furnace was down there.
I remember the well. It would freeze up at least once every winter and we would be without water for a while until my dad defrosted the pipes.
I remember the clothes line. I loved to hang upside down on it.
I remember playing in the fields and the old sheds and the old tree swing.
I remember the garden that my mom planted in the spring. I remember loading up our little car and going to a corner to sell our corn. I thought that was fun!
I remember the big trees. I loved lying under them in the summer to enjoy the cool shade. And I thought I would love sleeping under them on a summer night, but it was so dark outside that I got a little freaked out, especially when my older brothers and sisters told scary ghost stories. I don't think I made it the whole night outside! :)
For some reason, I LOVED that place, even if it had mice!

When we moved to Las Vegas, my parents kept "the farm." They wanted to move back someday. And they did...over twenty years later. (The white part of the house with siding was an addition that they added on when they moved back.)



After living there for a few years, they decided that the farm just wasn't big enough for their kids and over 50 grandchildren to come home and visit. So, they started looking into buying another house, but their hearts couldn't leave "the farm." The only other option was to tear down the house and build another one. My siblings and I were a little leary about them building a house. After all, they were almost 80 years old and we knew building a house was a lot of work. But my parents didn't think age was an issue and my dad even decided that he could be the contractor even though he knew nothing about building a house.
So, last May, I headed up to Utah with my three oldest kids to give our farewell to the farm house and help my parents move out so they could tear it down. I was just going to go because I knew there would be a lot of work to do and some of my other siblings were coming to help too, but Rachel, Tommy and Sam really wanted come with me. They loved the farm as much as I did when I was a kid. They promised they would help. There was a lot of work to do...and there were a lot of helpers, but my mom was the hardest worker (not surprising). She was the boss and everyone followed her orders! :)
I had a great time sorting through my parents "stuff." One of my favorite finds was this container of all my parents names tags when they were missionaries. They served three missions together in different countries with different languages. They went to Hungary, Cambodia and the Netherlands.



We figured since the house was going to get torn down that it would be OK to write on the walls with marker. Oh was it fun!!!
And Grandpa (my dad) gave the kids a crowbar and told them to start the demolition!


Hey!! that used to be MY room!!
After the hard day of work, my parents fed all us workers some roasted hot dogs, baked beans and some potato salad. That was the perfect menu for the day on the farm. We were all so hungry and tired, it felt good to sit down and eat.
So that night we said our goodbyes to the farm house and drove back to Vegas. The house was demolished soon after and for the next seven months, my dad (the contractor) built themselves a new house. They moved in two weeks ago and last week, we went up to Utah to visit them. When we drove around the familiar windy road that leads to their house, I saw a familiar mailbox...with familiar fields...


but a very unfamiliar house!
And even though there were still boxes and unpacking to do, the inside was beautiful! My mom and dad are so happy there! My mom loves her new kitchen, and like usual, she spends most of her day in there baking. Rachel loved helping her bake cookies, and we all loved eating them!

While we were there, Mark and the boys went to a great Lakers/Jazz game, we went skiing, and just had a great time hanging out in their house without worrying about a mouse running across the floor or stepping on a mouse trap! :) We were also able to spend Valentines Day with my parents. We heart-attacked their house and had our traditional red Valentines dinner with heart shaped pizzas.



The kids loved looking out at the fields of snow and look forward to playing in them when when we visit them in the summer and the snow is melted.

I look forward to that visit too! The farm is still "the farm"....even with a new house!

11 comments:

Joe White said...

Wow... that was a great blog Maria... you could turn that into a book, "The old farm House!" That was amazing. I have had so many great memories at the old farm house also. Aren't Grandma and Grandpa the best? Looks like you guys had a great time, wish I could have been there! Love all of you guys!

Marci said...

That was awesome!I hope someday I can take my kids and rip down a house with our bare hands! Fun! I love her house! the kitchen makes my heart melt :)

Mark and Maria said...

What a beautiful story, and a beautiful house!

Grandma lu

something good said...

Hi Maria! I've been peeking into your blog and loving it! I couldn't resist leaving a comment this time. I love a good remodel, and your parents are simply incredible! You are a great storyteller! Thanks for the smile today!

Jody :o)

the heiner family said...

Isn't it funny that I got super jeallous when I saw Rach making cookies with Grandma? I miss doing all of those fun things with Grandma...I guess she is on to a new generation of bakers....make her proud Rach! And I love that everyone can fit to have a pizza dinner! Even when it was cozy, it was fun...but just imagine now that they can fit all of us!

the heiner family said...

PS...did Jane Fonda start using a balance ball in her workout tape? I might have missed the memo:)

DW said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmm..... don't microwaved cheese sandwiches on home made bread sound amazing... i too miss that house... but more importantly, MARK AND THE BOYS WENT TO THE JAZZ LAKERS GAME?!?! THEY ARE SO LUCKY!

lori said...

We loved this post! So great to read those memories and to see those great pictures!!! So glad your parents are happy in their new place!

Brigit said...

I'm so jealous. I want to go to the Farm House. My grandparents lived on a Ranch in Northern Nevada and I have many of the same memories. My grandma just moved out of her house at the ranch last summer and it was so sad. She is 84 years old and lived there alone since my grandpa died 14 years ago. How fun for your kids to have the farm house.

Kristi said...

Every kids dream....to write on the walls AND tear them down. What an awesome fun time. I love hearing all the memories. It was so sweet to read.

Treehouse News said...

I LOVED reading this post. Those are awesome memories for all of you. My grandparents bought my grandmother's childhood home, and redid everything. It was fun visiting, and hearing her childhood stories in that setting. You all look fantastic. Great idea with the valentine pizzas. I may have to copy that one.