Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Independence

I know my mom is happy...I finally got the independent and stubborn child she always wished upon me....wait, I mean the OVERLY independent and STUBBORN child she wished upon me! I'll admit, I am stubborn, but I can't imagine that I gave my mom as hard of a time as this one gives me! I say that out of love (and a little frustration!:)

She has an opinion about most things and wants it done her way and she wants to do it herself. Don't even try helping her get into a car or buckle her up, or get her dressed or down from a chair or anything else. She will let you know if you even try! She will yell, "I DO IT!!" And if you just do it anyway because you are in a hurry, she will scream for a LONG time about it until you take back whatever you did and let her do it herself. It's not even worth it to try to do anything for her, it will backfire and end up taking you longer than if you just wait for her to do it in the first place.
Lately I've had issues with her clothing choices. She has wanted to live in her swimsuit! It's either this one...


or this one...
(with bed head and pajama bottoms on because she had to wear the swimsuit to bed. I had to sneak on the pants after she fell asleep because she doesn't like pants)

And when I'm in the other room, she likes to get on the counter and wash dishes by herself. (in her swimsuit!)

She doesn't like pants!!! All she wants to wear is what she calls her "pretty dress," which is one of about four dresses that she approves of, and they aren't even that pretty. They are short summer dresses that she freezes in when we go out if it is cold. Today it was supposed to be cooler so I TRIED with all my might to make her wear pants and a cute shirt. I fought and fought to get it on because I am the mom here and I can choose what she wears every now and then right?? I mean I know we should teach let our children make their own decisions and that is good for them, but there are just sometimes that the mom has to be the boss. I didn't want her to get cold today or look like I was a really irresponsible mom by taking my little girl outside in a sundress when it was windy and cold outside. Well, she fought me and fought me, but I won. She was dressed in pants and a shirt!
But, for some reason I didn't feel like I was winning.



She was like this for a LONG time. I talked to her for a while until it wasn't working so I went into the other room to do some laundry. It only took about a few minutes until she stopped screaming and I heard her playing with Megan. Phew!! But then I came out about 10 mins later and found her pants and shirt in a pile on the floor, and she was dressed in her "pretty dress." She won! And I surrendered! So, if you see me at Target or out on the streets with a girl in a swimsuit or dressed like this ...

She's supposed to have leggings on with this, but leggings are "pants" so she found Megan's dance tights and tap shoes to complete her outfit.
(and the dance tights had to have the hole on the top of the foot!!! I made the mistake of trying to fix them! :)


...Just smile and know that even though this girl rules my life and tries my patience at times, I couldn't live without her or her attitude.
She definitely keeps me on my toes and helps me develop my patience!

(This is one of her "pretty dresses!) :)
I love you Jessica!!

7 comments:

the heiner family said...

Bret and I laughed so hard! We totally have a Jessica and her name is Halle! I cannot wait until we live close so that we can start a support group! Good thing they are so dang cute!

Joe White said...

Haha that is funny... very cute... I am still them same way and I didn't turn out too bad did I? haha

Rob and Mercedi said...

I am a little nervous now. My mom used to wish that same thing on me. I'm sure I have it coming someday! Those are some funny pictures!

Julia Harps said...

hilarious!! I love jessica.

annie said...

WOW! She's a scamp with a capital "S", but so adorable I can see why you like her! :o)

Rachel said...

haha.. i'm laughing out loud! libby and jessica sound a lot alike :) i know my mom just looks at me and smiles.. i've got one with quite an attitude (tess) and one that is VERY stubborn and picky (that would be lib).. so i guess both of those kids sum my childhood up.. dang!

Jek said...

Hey stalker over here. I just read this blog and could relate a little too well. It sure is great to know that us moms really are all dealing with the SAME issues!! Thanks for making me feel NORMAL!!