Friday, April 10, 2009

Intensity

Tommy came home from scouts with some "homework" a couple weeks ago. He planted a sunflower seed and was supposed to water it and put it in the sun everyday. I have never witnessed more diligence and intensity in a 9 year old boy! Not only was he diligent in watering it daily, but he made sure it had the EXACT amount of water that the scout leader suggested....three spoonfuls at a time! When he left for school the first day after getting the plant, he asked me to watch the plant and if it needed a little more water then would I water it three spoonfuls? And he asked if I wouldn't mind turning the plant a few times during the day to make sure it was getting enough sun?? Just putting the plant in the sun all day was not good enough for this boy, he had to tilt the cup so it got direct sunlight all day. Intense??? Yes! But I love it! I love that he gets his mind set on something and works hard at it! (Well, he is very selective at which activities he sets his mind to...I wish it were practicing the piano!) :) (I'm not sure why it is being held up by a car IN a baggie??? I'm sure there is some good reason for the baggie!)

Then a few days later the precorder was being used for the holder...again, I'm sure there is some good reason! :)
The other night I saw the same sort of intense behavior in his dad as they sat down to discuss which car to make for the pinewood derby. Oh yeah, it's that time of year again. And the competition is tough! So they came up with a design and started cutting...oh was it ever intense at the band saw!! Tommy was coaching Mark on, making sure the cuts were exact and straight!


I think Tommy was feeling good about this car!...
Oh, this makes me nervous to see Mark's hand so close to the blade!!

And as I write this they are off together at the hardware store, or somewhere, buying the weights and paint and whatever else they need to finish the car. The race is next week....wish them luck!

3 comments:

Janae Downey said...

Maybe this is your year!
Jason

Joe White said...

This is nothing like the Cake... judges aren't going to be there! the fastest car wins! Its all out on the table! Let me know so I can come!
See ya soon!

Brigit said...

You're right...he is intense. I can't wait to see how the sunflower grows and how he does with his car. Good Luck!