I have been reading a book that was recommended on another blog that I follow. LOVE THE BOOK!
It has opened my eyes to see that I have not been preparing my children to be independent and prepared for when they leave home someday. Mark and I are going to come up with a plan of things that we want our children to know about or know how to do by the time they leave for college. But more than that, from this book, I have realized that I do sooooo much for my children that they can do for themselves. There are many reason why I do these things. For instance, I just want to show them I love them, it's easier for me to just do it, I can do it quicker or better (I think that is often the reason), etc. But, I'm done. I will continue to care for and love my children, but I want them to get used to doing the things that they can do for themselves(pack lunches, dishes, clean, etc.)
It's been a real eye opener for everyone. I can't say that it's true for my children, but I have loved it. It has given me a little more freedom and time as they have had to do things for themselves. Even just the extra 5 mins in the morning when they pack their own lunches. I think this is going to be a good thing.
When I started reading this book last week, I realized that Jessica is four, she can make a PB&J sandwich herself, right? That's what the book says, so I gave it a try. She did great! (yucky cell phone picture resolution!) :(
She LOVED doing it herself. She made another one right after that one and ate both of them right up. She has been making her own sandwiches ever since! :)
But, along with making sandwiches herself, there are other things I expect of her. Some things have not gone so well. The first few days of making her walk places herself (she is four and very heavy!), get somethings by herself, etc, were hard. I don't think the other kids knew what tantrum were until they experienced these days. This girl has a strong will. I mean STRONG! I don't want to break it, but she does need to realize that she is expected to do some things for herself. She did not like that. She could outlast the energizer bunny in a tantrum!
I think she stayed in the car for 30 mins screaming before she got out this time.
After about 3 or 4 days of screaming...she caught on and things have been much better. However, she did have a hoarse voice for a couple days from all her screaming. People thought she had lost her voice from a cold, but she had no signs of any sickness....just the results of screaming. My mom would laugh. She is the girl my mom hoped I would have someday who would be just like me....independent and stubborn! :)
Saturday, October 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment