
It's such a funny thing. If she doesn't have the blankie, it is impossible for her to suck her finger. But the minute she holds her blankie, her finger goes in her mouth. It's a bad habit and I've tried doing a couple of things to help her get over it, but then I just feel so bad that I give in to her. After we lost the "Watermelon blankie," I should have just used that as a time to lose the blankie thing but I just gave her some other blankies that felt like the watermelon one. You can see they had the same effect...

So I was talking to a mom with grown kids the other day at the park. We were talking about blankie and finger addictions. Her kids had the same issues and she said she wished she had helped them overcome it earlier. So I got to thinking about it this morning and decided today was the day. I explained what would happen to her teeth if she continued sucking on her finger (it's my responsibility as an orthodontist's wife) and then we talked about how the blankie made her want to suck her finger so we need to put it away. We decided we would wrap it up in a box to give to her baby when she becomes a mom. I wanted her to have something instead of the blankie so we headed to Build-a-Bear to make a "special bear." She was so excited. We ended up with a Pink kitty (really it's a leopard.) I got suckered into buying the little one too! Here they are...

It was time to say goodbye to blankie so she kissed it goodbye

and folded it up

stuffed it into the box...

and there you have it!

It all went well until bed time. Oh was it hard! Megan tried to be brave, but she came out of her room holding her little kitty and said, "Mom, this is really hard, I really want my blankie." I told her I knew it was hard and to just hug her kitty really tight. She did and bravely walked away. Did I mention how much I hate this??
Mark laid with her in bed until she fell asleep. She told Mark about her day and how hard it was to pack up her blankie. Then she fell asleep and is sleeping soundly right now...

...with no finger in her mouth! I think it hurts me more than it hurts her!
8 comments:
I hate making my kids grow up too! I despise potty training and tossing out the binky...basically anything that is good for them and painful for me. But good job Maria(and Megan)....it has to get better....right?
Oh, good job Meg! I remember these same feelings when we ditched Lucy's pacifier! It's so hard to deprive them of comfort...even when it is for their own good!
LOVED the daddy daughter post - such fun pictures, especially of you and your dad!! I loved that!
And we've been laughing and laughing about Tommy and veteran's day!
Love you guys! Can't wait for Thanksgiving!
You're such a good mom. I'm going to remember this post and look at it again when I have to face the same issues in a few years.
You're such a brave Mom. That's such a neat idea to save it for her when she has a baby.
Oh, good job Meggie... (and you, Maria!) You're so brave!
Love the pictures!
Just finally catching up on all your posts. What a fun DD date. Wish I could find the picture of me and my dad! I still remember the activity.
Meggie you have the best mom!
Megan I know its hard when I went off to college my mom said I had to put my blanky away and stop sucking my finger. But luckily my sister tori gave me a stuffed kitty named nermal also and now I fall asleep finger free. I am very proud of you... and for maria, suck it up! I should know its ten times harder to get rid of the blanky! haha just kidding. Your a great mom and I miss you kids!
ps I think jessica needs some more attention. haha
Oh man! This is no fun! I was a big time blankie girl. You handled it SO well, that was such a great idea. You know how my mom got rid of my blankie? I came home from kindergarten, looking for my blankie or course, that was the first thing I did, when my mom informed me that she threw it away and it was time for me to grow up. OH boy..that was not a good time. I STILL razz my mom about that one.
Post a Comment