Friday, January 11, 2008

Tommy's Dad...the greatest artist!!

Right before Christmas break Tommy was being spotlighted in his school class.  He had to fill out a questionnaire and one of the questions was, "What do you like to do in your spare time?"  Tommy wrote down, "Drawing pictures with my dad."  Tommy thinks it is the coolest thing that Mark can draw.  Tommy doesn't participate much, except for watching and cheering on Mark.  A few times Tommy has impressed his friends at school by having Mark draw a picture for them (dragon, etc.)  In fact, there was a period of time where Tommy would come home with requests from his friends.   Tommy really thinks that Mark is the BEST artist in the world, he is very proud of his dad!  When Mark tries to humbly tell Tommy that there are others out there that are better  and that he's not really THAT good, Tommy quickly rolls his eyes and replies, "Yeah right dad, look at what you just drew!"  It's very cute to see how very proud Tommy is of his dad.  
Back to the story... Since Tommy was supposed to bring in items throughout his spotlight week for show and tell, he decided that Mark could draw a picture of him.  But then we realized there wasn't any time to get it done.  Mark was really busy that week with work/church assignments and parties.  There was something every night so I told Tommy that Dad probably wouldn't be able to do it.  Tommy was a little disappointed but as he went to bed that night he said, "But if there is time, maybe Dad can draw it?"  I said, "Yes, we will see."  Tommy went to bed and then I went to bed.  Mark stayed up late working on his assignments.  I woke up in the early morning hours (2:00am or something like that) and the kitchen lights were still on.  I rolled over and went back to sleep.  The next morning Mark left early for work so he was gone before I woke up.  When I woke up and came in the kitchen there it was on the counter...Tommy's drawing.  I couldn't wait until Tommy woke up!  I wish I had a picture of Tommy when he saw the drawing.  Not only was it a grin of complete excitement, but almost a look affirming Tommy's thought... "See, I knew my dad was the best artist in the world!"  He had a great time showing off his portrait all day.  He said his friends couldn't believe that his dad drew the picture.  I think they think that Mark is the best artist ever!  I agree, he is a pretty good artist, but even a better dad!!!  :)  Here are the pictures...

No comments: