Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom!

Today is my mom's 78th birthday. She doesn't read this blog, she barely turns on a computer, but she has been on my mind so much today because of the influence she has had on my life. So, I thought I'd journal some of my feelings. The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of my mom is "unselfishness." She raised 10 children.
She was never thinking of herself, and still doesn't...it's always us and my dad. Not only that, but she has always served in the church and the community. Our house always smelled like baked goods because there were always pies or bread in our oven to take to someone in need. She has always been up at the crack of dawn (actually before) to exercise (Jane Fonda cassette tape, which she still does every day) so she could have the "energy" to work and serve non-stop all day! She is THE REAL ENERGIZER BUNNY!" About a month ago she fell down a big flight of stairs. She got pretty bruised up but said the reason she didn't get too injured is because she did Jane Fonda that morning! She is amazing!
My mom gave birth to me at the age of 42
She was and is so beautiful! This is her and my dad at about the age of 47. That's the other thing about my mom. She has the best smile and she always has one on her face. She is so positive!!!
My mom is the perfect grandmother. She has 54 grandchildren and quite a few great-grandchildren. She loves them all unconditionally and they know that. She sends every one of them a birthday card each year and takes time to call them and visit often. My kids love their Grandma Williams!
And so do I!
Happy Birthday Mom!

5 comments:

Marci said...

Maria, what a great mom you have. Now I know why you are so cool! I like the part about having energy--I think I should start doing that, that's what I need!! I also love that she was so unselfish, that's how I think of my mom (she had 10 too). Where would we be without our moms? We miss you guys, hope that your snow sticks and you have a great Holiday.

the heiner family said...

Grandma is the best! And what a hottie! I miss her all the time...she always makes you feel so good about yourself. Who else could remember the 100 birthdays she has to remember every year and still find something meaningful to put in the card? Her great grand children(my kids...since I am the winner in that area so far) have memories of her racing them up the stairs...how cool is that? I think she gives the energizer bunny a run for his money!
PS...love the family pic!

Grandma lu said...

What a beautiful tribute and you are just like your mom, Maria! Thanks again for the soup and for caring! Give your mom my best! Jane Fonda here I come!!!

Becky said...

Maria! What a great post about your mom. She really is an amazing woman! I love all the retro pictures. In that one where you are a baby sitting on her lap, I can see a bit of Jessica! Amazing! And I love the recent one of you and her.. that is a great pic. You look so good in black! :) And...Tell your mom, that she looks better than Jane Fonda in my opinion.

Brigit said...

Maria...you have a darling mom. I wish I knew her, but it seems that you both are a lot a like. I love the last picture of you guys. You look absolutely stunning! Thanks for the warm rolls. They were so yummy. You'll have to email me the recipe.